• Skip to main content
  • Skip to secondary menu
  • Skip to primary sidebar
  • Skip to footer
Christian News Now

Christian News Now

News for the Thinking Christian

  • Home
  • U.S.
  • World
  • Church
  • Faith
  • Tech & Science
  • Family
  • Entertainment
  • Sports

Woman Who Says Priest Abused Her Settles With Church

March 16, 2022 by Staff

BOSTON (AP) — A woman who says she was sexually abused by a Roman Catholic priest who taught at her high school in Massachusetts has reached a financial settlement with the church, her lawyer said Tuesday.

The settlement with the Archdiocese of Boston reached late last year “was in the high five figures,” attorney Mitchell Garabedian said at a news conference.

The priest, the late Rev. Michael J. Regan, has not previously appeared on any list of credibly accused clergy, including the archdiocese’s own list, Garabedian said. He died in 2020.

“No substantiated claim of abuse was received while he was living,” the archdiocese said in a statement.

The now 60-year-old woman was sexually abused multiple times from 1977 until 1980 when she was from 14 to 17 years of age and attended the now-closed Pope John XXIII High School in Everett where Regan taught economics, Garabedian said.

Ordained in 1962, he served at multiple parishes, schools and church facilities around the archdiocese during his career.

Regan said he would not let her graduate if she did not comply with his sexual demands, the attorney said.

“She was terrified,” Garabedian said.

Officials at two church watchdog groups, BishopAccountability.org and the Survivors Network of Those Abused by Priests, said they had never before heard of Regan.

“This is the first time we have seen this name,” SNAP’s Michael McDonnell said.

Terry McKiernan of BishopAccountability.org said new names of accused church employees are coming up with increased frequency.

“We are seeing a surprising number of new accused priests that have never before been on our radar,” he said. The organization has a nationwide database of about 7,400 priests, members of religious orders, nuns, seminarians and deacons who have been accused of abuse, he said.

The Boston Archdiocese’s list of about 130 credibly accused clergy is sorely lacking, he said.

This article originally appeared here.

Filed Under: Church

Primary Sidebar

Trending News

At TPUSA Pastors Summit, Eric Metaxas Calls Charlie Kirk a ‘Martyr,’ Urges Pastors To ‘Rise Up and Be the Church’

Vermont Church Elder and Child Evangelist Charged With Distributing Child Sex Abuse Material

‘We Need Boldness’—Travis Johnson Urges Pastors To Take the Gospel Into the Public Square

Lila Rose: Despite Legal Threats, Live Action Will Keep Calling Abortion ‘Killing’

RSS ChurchLeaders

  • Donnie Wahlberg’s Joyful Birthday Reel Shows Wahlberg and Jenny McCarthy Getting Baptized
  • Believer vs. Christian: What’s the Real Difference?

RSS Faithit

  • He’d Take a Bullet for Her and at 1:50 You Won’t Doubt Him a Bit
  • This 100-Year-Old Lady Is the Only Person Who Can Say This and Get Away with It

RSS ForEveryMom

  • When You Think Being the Perfect Mom Is About Trying Harder
  • Mom Makes Video While Hiding In the Pantry and It’s Basically Motherhood In a Nutshell

Footer

About Us
Privacy Statement
Terms and Conditions
Cookie Settings
Contact Us
Newsletter

Images used on christiannewsnow.com are licensed from stock photography providers including Shutterstock, Getty Images, iStock, Unsplash, and other licensed contributors, or are used with permission. Individual image credits are available upon request.

Search

Copyright © 2026 · Christian News Now