• Skip to main content
  • Skip to secondary menu
  • Skip to primary sidebar
  • Skip to footer
Christian News Now

Christian News Now

News for the Thinking Christian

  • Home
  • U.S.
  • World
  • Church
  • Faith
  • Tech & Science
  • Family
  • Entertainment
  • Sports

SBC Sexual Abuse Task Force Releases Final Update Before Report

May 9, 2022 by Staff

By Brandon Porter

NASHVILLE (BP) – The SBC Sex Abuse Task Force issued the fifth update on its work with Guidepost Solutions in the investigation of the SBC Executive Committee’s (EC) alleged mishandling of sex abuse claims. The group said it would be its last update before Guidepost’s full report is made public in mid-May.

“Pursuant to the Messenger’s Motion, Guidepost must submit its report to the Task Force no later than 30-days prior to the SBC Convention in Anaheim, which begins on June 14, 2022. Thus, the report is due to the Task Force on May 15, 2022,” the update said. It did not provide a date for public release.

Guidepost and the task force say they will release the factual portion of the report to the Committee on Cooperation (CoC) on May 10.

“Guidepost will not provide its observations or conclusions to the CoC, but strictly the factual portion so that any inadvertent errors (e.g., titles, dates) can be corrected,” the task force reported.

In the update, the group reported 313 interviews had been completed by Guidepost, with some individuals being interviewed multiple times. One interview is still to be conducted.

RELATED: SBC Leadership Apologizes to Sexual Abuse Survivor; Admits Failure to Listen, Protect, and Care

There were 31 witnesses contacted who, according to Guidepost, declined to participate, and investigators found that 24 potential witnesses were deceased.

The list of potential witnesses was composed of the more than 80 members of the SBC EC who serve annually over a period of 21 years, current and former EC staff members, and SBC officers and entity heads between Jan. 1, 2000, and June 14, 2021.

The report listed several prominent names in Southern Baptist life who chose not to be interviewed by the task force:

  • Judge Paul Pressler due to health concerns
  • Paige Patterson “declined through attorney and stated he had no recollection of the subject of sexual abuse coming up during the last six months of his presidency that falls under the scope of the investigation”
  • Jack Graham “offered full access to presidential papers as participation; after Guidepost confirmed we already had access and requested an interview at his convenience, received no response to that request”

In a correspondence shared with Baptist Press, Graham’s office responded to a Guidepost email by saying, “Given that his presidency was twenty years ago, we’re also not sure how helpful an in-person interview would be in the first place.”

RELATED: ‘This Is Only the Beginning,’ SBC EC Member Assures Survivor After Abuse Investigation Update

Messengers to the 2021 SBC Annual Meeting called for President Ed Litton to name the task force to secure a firm to conduct the independent third-party investigation of the EC.

This article originally appeared at Baptist Press.

Filed Under: Church

Primary Sidebar

Trending News

SBC Abuse Prevention Leader Says Churches Must ‘Work Together To Solve This Problem’

‘I Never Used the Word Hacked’—Brian Houston Clarifies How He Thinks Porn Appeared on His X Profile

Former Exodus International President Alan Chambers Arrested for Solicitation of Minor

Tim Ross Defends His Controversial ‘Stripper’ Sermon Metaphor on Lecrae’s Podcast

RSS ChurchLeaders

  • How God Answered Kevin James’ Prayers When James Fasted 40 Days for His Daughter
  • ‘I’m Not Being Fed’ and Other Ridiculous Christian Complaints

RSS Faithit

  • Dusty Wildman: The Ordinary Kitchen Accident That Changed One Family Forever
  • People Were Stunned When She Chose to Marry Him. 3 Years Later, Things Couldn’t Be Better.

RSS ForEveryMom

  • For All the Moms About to Lose Their Ever-Loving Minds
  • Mom and Dad Lose Their Minds Telling the Funniest OBGYN Story EVER

Footer

About Us
Privacy Statement
Terms and Conditions
Cookie Settings
Contact Us
Newsletter

Images used on christiannewsnow.com are licensed from stock photography providers including Shutterstock, Getty Images, iStock, Unsplash, and other licensed contributors, or are used with permission. Individual image credits are available upon request.

Search

Copyright © 2026 · Christian News Now