(CNN) A Texas family who lost their sense of smell because they have coronavirus nearly died when a fire engulfed their house and they couldn’t smell the smoke.
The only family member who didn’t have the virus was 17-year-old Bianca Rivera. When the teenager smelled smoke in their home in Waco early Friday, she quickly evacuated her three family members and their four dogs.
“I don’t really count myself as a hero,” Bianca told CNN affiliate KWTX. “I just did what anyone else would do for their own family. I just wanted to get everyone out safe and alive.”
The fire broke out around 2 a.m. in the one-story house, which was a total loss, KWTX reported.
“This family is lucky to be alive,” the Waco Fire Department tweeted. “@WacoTXFire would like to remind everyone to make sure you have working smoke alarms in your home.”