• Skip to main content
  • Skip to secondary menu
  • Skip to primary sidebar
  • Skip to footer
Christian News Now

Christian News Now

News for the Thinking Christian

  • Home
  • U.S.
  • World
  • Church
  • Faith
  • Tech & Science
  • Family
  • Entertainment
  • Sports

Portugal Cardinal Meets Pope as Sex Abuse Allegations Swirl

August 5, 2022 by Staff

LISBON, Portugal (AP) — The archbishop of Lisbon met Friday with Pope Francis in a private audience at the Vatican to discuss “events in recent weeks that have marked the life of the Church in Portugal,” the Portuguese church said.

The two-sentence communique gave no further details, and the Vatican does not comment on the pope’s private audiences with individual churchmen. But suspicion about what they discussed immediately fell on recent allegations of child sex abuse by priests and alleged cover-ups by senior members of the Portuguese church.

RELATED: Pope Warns of Trust Loss Without More Abuse Accountability

Other possible topics for discussion include the organization of World Youth Day 2023, a major Catholic festival which will be held in Lisbon in August and which the pope is expected to attend. Communiques about that event tend to be more detailed.

The sex abuse allegations have swirled recently, bringing a turbulent spell for Portuguese church authorities and prompting Lisbon Cardinal Manuel Clemente to publish an open letter last week denying any cover-up and explaining his role in one sex abuse case.

RELATED: Pope Promotes Vatican Nurse Credited With Saving His Life

He urged victims to come forward and speak to a lay committee set up by the country’s bishops to examine historic child sex abuse in the Portuguese Catholic Church.

In the latest allegations Friday, weekly newspaper Expresso reported that a priest told his superiors about 12 colleagues he suspected of child sex abuse but half of them remain in active ministry. Two bishops knew about the suspicions but did not report them to police, the paper alleged.

Portuguese President Marcelo Rebelo de Sousa was due to meet later Friday with members of that committee, which is looking into hundreds of cases.

The committee, which will report to the Portuguese Bishops’ Conference at the end of the year, says its task is to study what child sex abuse has occurred, not launch formal investigations. Its findings are to be handed to public prosecutors.

RELATED: Ethan Hawke Says This ‘Great Christian Thinker’ Could Help Pope Stop War in Ukraine

Speaking before his meeting with the committee, the head of state said it was necessary to “stick with (sex abuse) investigations till the very end, however long it takes.”

“What kills off institutions is the fear of finding out the truth,” Rebelo de Sousa told reporters.

This article originally appeared here.

Filed Under: Church

Primary Sidebar

Trending News

Man Who Murdered Arizona Pastor in ‘Crucifixion-Style’ Killing Sentenced to Life

Churches Can Screen ‘The Chosen’ Season 6 Early As Dallas Jenkins Anticipates Spiritual Questions

Shane Pruitt on Reaching Gen Alpha: ‘I’m Not Saying All Technology Is of the Devil’

Hard-Hitting Pastor, 47, Suits Up for Local College Football Team

RSS ChurchLeaders

  • Preteen Bible Message: Why Did God Make Me the Way I Am?
  • 3 Relationship Builders for Toddlers

RSS Faithit

  • You May Never See Another Couple Full of Christ-Like Love Like This
  • He Went to Waffle House for a ‘Last Meal.’ Then a Stranger Changed His Life.

RSS ForEveryMom

  • Football Star Cam Newton Writes Tear-Jerking Letter to His Baby Son: “Be Better Than Me”
  • This Mom’s Apology to Dads Is the Truth-Bomb They ALL Need to Hear

Footer

About Us
Privacy Statement
Terms and Conditions
Cookie Settings
Contact Us
Newsletter

Images used on christiannewsnow.com are licensed from stock photography providers including Shutterstock, Getty Images, iStock, Unsplash, and other licensed contributors, or are used with permission. Individual image credits are available upon request.

Search

Copyright © 2026 · Christian News Now